29 May 2014

Ego

If the body-mind organism of a sage has the programming to be quick of temper, then that sage before liberation happened got angry very quickly. And after enlightenment the sage continues to become angry very quickly. The programming is for anger to arise. The only difference is that earlier the sage used to say, “I shouldn’t get angry with my friends. My friends don’t like it. And I’m told I must not get angry because my blood pressure will rise, therefore I’m told that I must control my anger.” All that was the involvement of the ego, which used to happen before the ego was destroyed. What happens after the ego has been destroyed? When anger arises the sage does not say, “ I am angry. I shouldn’t get angry.” He doesn’t say that. The anger that arises and the effect of it is merely witnessed, including the consequences. On the other hand, if something is happening and compassion arises, earlier the ego would have said, “I am a compassionate man and people should respect me.” But after the ego is destroyed there is no such thinking. The sage does not think like this. All he sees is compassion arising and taking its course.
www.manavdharam.org