23 June 2010

Akbar

Once emperor Akbar went to hunt in a forest. by chance, he got separated from his attendants. He felt very thirsty. He saw a hut at some distance. He went there and saw a saint sitting in meditation. The emperor, at that time, was in ordinary clothes and so the saint did not recognize him. However, when the emperor asked for water, the saint gave him some. When he was leaving, the emperor requested him, "Please come and visit my hut one day. I live in Delhi. My name is Akbar."


Some time later in the course of his travels, that saint reached Delhi. He asked people there, "Brother, where is the hut of Akbar?" People replied, "Sir, don't call him just 'Akbar'. He is Emperor Akbar of Delhi". The saint said, "He may be the king, but I am not concerned with such things. Please just tell me where he lives." People guided him towards Akbar's palace.


The saint reached the palace. The king saluted him and gave him a seat. After sometime Akbar said, "Sir, Now it is time for my prayers, I will return as soon as my prayers are finished". Akbar started praying and the saint watched him. As he finished praying, Akbar knelt, spread his hands and asked for something. When he returned, the saint asked him why he was spreading his hands. The emperor replied, " I was asking God to bless me with wealth, sons, kingdom and all the pleasures of the world."


The saint stood up and said, " O King, you are in fact a big beggar. I will not eat bread even owned by a beggar and pauper like you". So saying, the saint departed.


In other words, everyone, from king to pauper, is engrossed in the swamp of sensual enjoyments. Only a very rare person asks God for devotion.
www.manavdharam.org